Register of Wills & Recorder of Deeds
& Clerk of Orphans Court

Forms & Documents



Contact Info


Recorder of Deeds
Register of Wills
Clerk of Orphans' Court Office
Indiana County Courthouse
825 Philadelphia St.
Indiana, PA 15701-3973

Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-4pm
For Passport applications
8-3:30pm only.

Phone: (724) 465-3860
Fax: (724) 465-3863

Closed Holidays


Register/Recorder Office FAQs

Can I change the names on my deed here in the office?

No, your deed is a legal document and we cannot change anything on a deed.

Is my Mortgage paid off, why did I not receive anything says that it is?

Check and see if there is a Satisfaction piece on file, we can make you a copy of the satisfaction piece.

Why do I need a tax parcel/township/borough on my document I am recording?

This is a requirement to record the document, parcel number and township/borough ties together with the address of the property.

Why do I need to see an Atty. To have a new deed made up?

You don’t, but we recommend you do because it is a legal document you are recording.

Why do we have to have our names notarized?

Because anyone could sign the document and record it, the notary makes it legal.

5 Most Asked Questions

Can I add or delete a name from my Deed?

No, you will need to talk with an attorney to have a new Deed drawn up.

Where can I get a copy of my Deed?

All of our records online from 1948 to present a free on our website (click here) or you can come into our office to get a copy at $0.50 per page.

How much does it cost to record a Deed?

The cost to record a Deed is $78.75 for four pages and four names. Each page after four is $2.00 per page and $0.50 per name.

Can I come into your office and check if a loan/mortgage has been satisfied?

Yes, you can. You can either come into our office to check, you can call into the office and we can tell you over the phone or you can look it up on our website.

Am I able to get a certified copy of my marriage license in your office?

Yes, if you applied in Indiana County for your marriage license you can pick up a certified copy for $5.00 in our office. If you aren’t local you can call the office and get directions on how to order one through the mail.

Register of Wills FAQs

The bank told me to get a Short Certificate?

A short certificate is issued when an estate has been opened naming an Executor or Administrator. If no estate has been filed, we cannot issue one.

Do I need an attorney to probate an estate?

We recommend that you seek the advice of an attorney. There are guidelines set up for probate along with advertising and deadlines for filing reports.

If I am named Executor in the will, do I have to probate the estate?

Yes. In order to transfer any property or bank accounts, you need to be sworn in as the Executor to sign for the estate.

Orphans Court FAQs

Do I need an attorney to file for an adoption/ guardianship/ terminating parental rights?

We strongly recommend that you have an attorney.

How do I get a certified copy of my marriage license?

You can either call or send in the women’s maiden name and man’s name along with the approximate year of marriage. The cost is $5.00.

What do I need for a marriage license?

You need to know your birthplace and your parent’s birthplace. We need your social security number along with photo ID. If you were married before, we need the final decree of the divorce or the date of death.