Indiana County District Attorney

DA Robert F. Manzi, Jr.

Administrative Staff

Victim Services

Prescription Drug Take Back

Bad Check Program

Community Based Programs

Contact Info

Indiana County District Attorney's Office

825 Philadelphia Street
Indiana, PA 15701

Chief County Detective
Brad Shields

Phone: (724) 465-3835

Victim Services

What is a Bad Check?

The Pennsylvania Crimes Code (18 PA C.S. § 4105) sets forth that a person commits an offense if he issues or passes a check knowing that it will not be honored by the drawee. If a person is convicted of knowingly issuing a bad check, he may be ordered, in addition to any criminal penalties, to reimburse the payee the amount of the check, interest thereon at legal rate, and a service charge.

What to do if you have been given a Bad Check

  • First, contact the person who wrote the check and attempt to resolve the matter.
  • If you are unsuccessful, mail the person who wrote the check a certified letter asking for payment.
  • After 10 days, if you have not received a response to the letter, you can contact the Indiana County Detective Bureau.  Submit the following to our office by mail, fax, or email.
    • Bad Check Crime Report
    • Front and back images of the returned check(s).
    • Copies of the certified letter and mailing receipt from the post office.
    • Mailing Address:  Indiana Co. Detective Bureau, 825 Philadelphia St., 3rd Fl., Indiana, PA  15701
    • Fax:  724-465-3842
    • Email:

Once the check is submitted to our office, you may not collect funds yourself. If you accept a partial payment of funds, the check become a civil matter and you must file a civil case with the court yourself or hire an attorney to do so.

The Indiana County Detectives will make an attempt to get the check paid.  If the individual does not cooperate, criminal charges will be filed.