Welcome to the Public Defender's Office
The Office of the Public Defender is responsible for furnishing competent and effective legal counsel to any person who lacks sufficient funds to obtain legal counsel in any proceeding where representation is constitutionally required.
The Public Defender Act authorizes the Office of the Public Defender to provide legal counsel in the following matters:
- Adults charged with criminal or traffic offenses that carry possible incarceration as punishment.
- Juveniles charged with criminal offense.
- County or state parole/probation revocation proceedings.
- Proceedings under the Mental Health Act.
- Violation of Protection from Abuse orders.
- Support Contempt proceedings.
- Extradition Proceedings.
- Representation of children in dependency hearings.